Struggling to Write Your Novel?
Does writing a novel seem like a pipedream?
I'm here to help you write the thing, and write it well.
Don’t worry, every writer struggles.
But not every writer pushes through, or asks for help.
Writing is defined by persistence. To do and finish our work, and always strive to improve. But it's tough. And can be discouraging. I want to make writing as enjoyable and easy for you as possible.
That’s why I’ve created this online writing program to pass on the tools, techniques, and strategies I used to write my critically acclaimed novel, Locust Summer
CHECK OUT THE PROGRAM
How does writing your novel feel to you at the moment?
- Stuck in a certain part and unsure how to continue?
- Lacking the motivation to keep going?
- Struggling to find the time and space to write?
- Feeling as though your skills are underdeveloped?
- Unsure whether the story you're writing is working or engaging enough?
- Wanting to ditch what you've written into the bin?
Don't despair! This course has been designed as a no bullshit skills and mindset game-changer that will empower you to deepen your craft.
It will reassure you that you are a writer, sharpen your skills so you can unkink your story, and motivate you to carve out writing time and keep going.
Join a writing community that has realistic, insightful, and usable writing knowledge that will elevate your craft, help you to keep going, and realise your writing ambition.
You CAN write your novel
Join the course and community and learn to:
- Establish a sustainable writing practise.
- Dig deeper into your story.
- Break through creative blocks.
- Master writing skills so you can reach for the sublime.
- Create a novel that you will be proud of.
Yes, it really is possible!
In Write Your Novel, you’ll learn how to actually write the THING.ENROLL NOW
In the next 12 weeks, you could...
- Make huge breakthroughs in writing your novel.
- Gain a deeper understanding of your writing craft.
- Break through the blocks stopping you from progressing.
- Develop stronger writing skills that will serve your creative vision.
- Become a more confident writer with a bulletproof creative practise.
The right writing techniques can make all the difference.
We'll cover it all in the Write Your Novel program.
Write Your Novel
Are you ready to write the novel you've always dreamed of?
This 12-week program will teach you how to:
- Create a strong and sustainable writing practise.
- Master vital story skills that will propel your work forward.
- Gain a deeper understanding of your story & why you're writing it.
By focusing on writing skills AND cultivating a positive mindset, Write Your Novel will help you gain confidence as a writer, setting you up to dive deeper into your story and developing its full potential.
What's included in the program...
Character is story and story is character. But you can get stuck with what happens next if you don’t understand your characters fully, or give them enough rope!
Learn how to make authentic, believable characters that leap off the page, take you by the hand, and live long in a reader’s memory.
You will learn:
- Why characters need autonomy - and what that allows writers to do.
- How to create characters with more narrative tension, meaningful action, and inner reflection.
- Strategies to engage with and understand your characters, and then put them to work!
You’ll finish this program with a more complete understanding of characters: how to create them, understand, animate them, and follow them.
Themes are the heart of the story, and must be developed with care and attention. Trouble is, writers can often neglect them as incidentals.
Buck the trend and learn how to seed powerful themes that reflect your intentions, elevate the story, and create hooks that will give you - and your reader - an extraordinary experience.
You will learn:
- Why themes are so important and how you can use them to their fullest potential.
- Strategies for weaving thematic imagery and insights into your story.
- Techniques for creating a deeper understanding of your intentions, and then plowing them into every sentence.
You’ll finish this program knowing why themes are vital for an engaging novel, giving the book more depth and dimension.
Plot is often looked down upon, or dismissed as a secondary consideration.
But a watertight plot that serves the story and ruthlessly sets up the characters for sustained narrative tension is what readers live for - and all writers must master…
You will learn:
- Why plot shapes everything in a story - and how you can use it to your advantage.
- How to identify and then deploy the best plot shape for your story.
- Why intriguing conflict is vital for a page-turning plot.
You'll finish the program having mapped out the plot points of your book, making it unputdownable.
Writing the first draft
The first draft of anything is sh**. But that’s what makes the roses grow!
In this no bullshit module, I’m going to show you how a first dfraft works, from tools and techniques that will help you get the words down on the page to strategies for finding the time and space to write, and keep going no matter what.
You will learn:
- How to plan and map your novel’s elements so you have a frame to work with.
- Why you need to tell yourself the story first, and get the words out no matter what.
- How to tackle a huge writing project one step at a time, with proper planning and execution that will help you stay focussed and stay on task over a long time.
The program's modules on writing the first draft will give you the confidence and momentum you need to get the words onto the page, and finish what you start.
Editing and re-writing
Editing and re-writing
Writing is rewriting.
In this module, I’m going to show you the power of rewriting and editing, and how these elements can transform your work from a promise to a powerhouse.
You will learn:
- How to rewrite your words with greater clarity, understanding, and story power.
- Where editing can change your work to unlock new meaning, sharper structure, and simpler access for your reader.
- Tools and techniques for close reading, sentence-level editing, and big picture editorial interrogation.
You’ll finish this program with a complete understanding of rewriting and editing - the most powerful writing tools in your arsenal.
Plus! You will also receive:
Weekly group calls for 12 weeks to ask ALL of your questions.
Lifetime access to our Facebook group to connect with other writers in the community and ask any other questions throughout your novel-writing process.
This program is for you if...
- You are struggling to start a book project.
- Struggling to finish your Work In Progress.
- Desire to know more about writing.
- Want to expand your writing toolkit.
- Crave writing advice that’s direct and easy to understand.
- Want actionable techniques that will elevate your writing craft.
- Need a positive, clear mindset for writing.
YES, I WANT IN!
NICE TO MEET YOU
I'm David Allan-Petale
I’ve been a writer for nearly twenty years, first as an amateur scribbler, then as a journalist for places like the ABC, BBC World News, and Al Jazeera. Then, when I started writing my first novel while living in London, something clicked.
That novel led to another, which became Locust Summer, my debut, which came through a long but rewarding writing and rewriting process that taught me all the lessons that I now want to pass on to you.
I’m a father who works full-time in a copywriting business Red Platypus, and writes creatively when he can, wherever he can.
I know what it’s like to struggle to find the time to create, to tinker, to think and feel and do. But I also know that it’s possible.
And that with a bit of help, you can do it too.
"Over the years I have joined many courses for would-be writers. Some were day long, others weekend residential, yet others extended over multiple weeks. A couple were memorable, others less so.
I regard David’s course as having been the best I have attended.
David is totally professional. His course is well presented, his standards are high, and yet he manages a personal touch which makes him extremely approachable."
- Warwick Connor
"David was very keen to deliver his knowledge in a very affirming and non-judgemental manner which gave me more confidence to share my work. That was unheard of, literally, in my past. I loved the exercises and will continue to use his ideas as warmups for my own writing. I definitely recommend his workshop. Furthermore, David is a very human and affable guy who shares his writing journey quite openly. He demonstrates humility, enthusiasm and a genuine willingness to help budding writers."
- Barbara Kelly
"David is an entertaining and clear presenter who is generous in sharing his knowledge and experience. I would recommend enrolling in one of David’s writing courses, as participation is sure to improve anyone’s writing skills."
- Penny Farrant
"It has hands down been one of the best workshop series I’ve attended. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, insight and experience. I picked up lots of little gems to take with me on my own writing journey. I look forward to the next program!"
- Mona Mezger
GET STARTED TODAY!
Write Your Novel program
14-DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
If you aren’t completely satisfied with the Write Your Novel program, let us know within the first 14-days for a full refund. No questions asked.